Micro:bit (STEM Beginner) Online Training Course
In this course, we introduce students to STEM with interesting stories to learn the basic logic and computational thinking concept to build programs by blocks coding. Upon completion of course, students able to use micro:bit to code to make simple applications and get ready for more advanced coding and AI training.
Enroll in FREE online live trial class worth HKD 220 Pick your favour language and timeslot
- For child aged 8+ and adult
- Maximum 6 students in online trial class
- Welcome to form a private small group
- Contact us if you have other favour language or timeslot that are currently unavailable.
Enroll in 1-to-1 online class Pick your favour type of training
- Date & Time: Any
- Lanaguage: English / Cantonese / Mandarin
- Private Group Option: Welcome to form any private small group to enjoy extra discount
- Mouse over on items below to view detail
Best fit for learners with micro:bit experience
Best fit for age 8+ kids
Interested in face-to-face training? Contact our local training center partners now!
Course highlight Using micro:bit or emulator to complete problem-solving training
Standard training package includes...
STEM Beginner Course (1 hour/lesson, 10 hours total)
Micro:bit (STEM Beginner) Course Outline
Description & Learning Objectives
Let’s program with micro:bit!
Introduction of the basic operations of Una, MakeCode and micro:bit | First coding | Blocky coding
How many inputs and outputs?
Simple input and output | Difference between micro:bit emulator and physical micro:bit
Can micro:bit store my memory?
Human memory and computer variable | Create and change a variable | Modify with multiple input methods
Rescue Hua Mulan
If condition concept | Nested If condition | Rescue Hua Mulan by rule of conscription
Shoot and score a goal!
Goal shooting games | “And” and “Or” | Compound conditional statements
Loop is beauty?
Explore the beauty of programs | Use loop for repeated statements | Coordinates and nested loop
Random number | Probability | Cube | Apply variables, If condition, comparison, and loop
Dead or alive, BOOM!
Countdown function | Ending conditions | Backdoor for the game | Defuse the bomb
Where am I in the solar system?
Solar system | Features and uses of array | Loop to access an array
Escape from a maze board
Electronic and non-electronic machinery | If condition, loop, array
STEM Beginner Self-study Exercises (7 modules, total 7 hours)
Micro:bit (STEM Beginner) Exercises Outline
Description & Learning Objectives
Micro:bit Daylight detector and thermometer
micro:bit built-in sensors – light and temperature | daylight detector | thermometer
micro:bit built-in sensor – accelerometer | compass
4-role group work | variables, If conditions and loops
2-role group work | Basic radio | send and receive transmissions
Simple calculation program
simple calculator | function | abstraction | basic maths calculation
password locks with trial quota | probability | basic security
Encryption and decryption
send/receive encrypted message | encryption and decryption
Una Student Basic Account Annual Subscription
Microsoft Global Training Partner - Una issued completion of course certificate
Micro:bit Explanation & Technical Support
Upon completion of this course students can ...
receive Microsoft Global Training Partner - Una issued completion of course certificate
equip basic computational thinking skill and able to code different simple micro:bit applications
get ready to enroll in more advaced coding and AI courses
Testimonial of this course
There are over 20 millions of people using the BBC micro:bit in coding education.
The micro:bit is a micro controller that lets you get creative with digital technology. You can code, customize, and control your micro:bit from anywhere! You can use your micro:bit for all sorts of unique creations, from robots to musical instruments and more. The micro:bit is the most recent project by the BBC in an effort to bring computer science education and STEM topics to every student in the United Kingdom. It is an open development board that works in sync with other onboard hardware components to get you started down the path of programming hardware.
Kids from age 8+ in general
- We utilize our self-developed AI education platform, Una, to monitor and keep track of the students’ learning progress and provide real-time explanation to their answers.
- The course is developed by our professional team led by Dr. Leo Yeung (specialised in computer science) and Dr. Jason Chan (specialised in mechanical engineering).
- All the trainers and assistants have completed over 10 hours of teacher training (trained by our PhD computer sciencetists and enginners); pursues a STEM degree or above.
- The remote class size will not exceed 6 students per trainer. The face-to-face class size will not exceed 12 students per trainer. More assistants will join the class if there are more students than the limit.
No hardware requirement. Of course, it is good if you have a physical micro:bit at your home, but it is not a must. The course is designed for students that can use either physical micro:bit or micro:bit emulator to do the coding.
Students need to login both Microsoft Teams and Una Platform for learning and coding, but it is not unnecessary to use the same device.
- Microsoft Teams: Please download Microsoft Teams here and find out the detail of device requirements.
- Una Platform: Student can login Una with an internet-accessible computer, laptop or IPad, using Google Chrome or Microsoft Edge up-to-date browsers.
Important Notes for Login Una:
- Smartphone is not supported
- For IPad users, it requires iPadOS 13.1 or above
- Login with computer or laptop, using normal mode on the browser (NOT Incognito Mode), can enjoy a better user experience
- When we receive your registration, we will send you Una Platform login instruction.
- Once you receive login instruction, before the class, please visit https://app.una.study/ and see if you can login Una successfully. Otherwise, please change your device or update your browser prior class to ensure we can start the lesson on time and smoothly.